Qualitative research methods aim to gather primary in-depth data. Information can be gathered using a variety of methods ranging from structured or semi-structured interviews and surveys, to overt and covert participant observation. This broad method is typically used within the realms of the social sciences, social investigation, and anthropology.
Qualitative methods can enable us to gain an understanding of behaviour at a personal and in-depth level. By using face-to-face or direct contact techniques we can answer questions regarding, choice, motivation, habit, and consumption.
Qualitative research methods are often considered to be rich and diverse and can produce unexpected outcomes. Data analysis considers the frequency of themes within verbatim responses as well as clusters amongst closed-ended questioning.
Our research team are experienced in face-to-face techniques and strictly adhere to the MRS (Market Research Society) code of conduct. Face-to-face interviewing as a method of personally administering questionnaires has significant advantages as well as some disadvantages.
Focus groups are valuable in the early stages of qualitative research and are useful when investigating why people do things.
Focus groups help you to connect with your market, so you can become more aware of what is going on with your customers, their motivations and attitudes. Focus groups will help you in developing or testing solutions and strategies and is an ideal exploratory technique because of the freedom and interaction inherent in a group situation.
Participant Observation is a research strategy that involves getting close to people. It requires the researcher to make the participants feel comfortable enough in their presence in order that observations are recorded about their lives. Participant observation is a highly in-depth method of gathering data that requires great skill on the part of the researcher.
Being a participant observer has the advantage of enabling the researcher access to activities and first hand experience of events. PO also allows more time to be spent with subjects so that a greater volume of data can be collected.
Life Stories & Life Changing Events
To record a life history or to evaluate the effects or experience of a life changing event a researcher must spend a considerable amount of time with the subject or participant. As with all face-to-face methods rapport needs to be established early on in the interview process so that the participant feels comfortable in the researchers presence and is happy to speak and recall events.
Life stories and life changing events are usually recorded over a number of interviews.
Background Sure Start Hyndburn Children’s Centres offer services, information and advice to families with children aged under five years old,…
Background Baker Tilly is a leading independent firm of accountants and business advisers that specialises in providing an integrated range…
Background Land Rover Monthly magazine is a publication for Land Rover specialists. Land Rover Monthly holds a yearly weekend, 3…
- We have been so impressed with the standard of work delivered by Mackman. They are lovely people who are committed to offering a quality service, and we have found them to be responsive, informed, thorough and personable. The final presentation of results was incredibly well put together, delivered with clarity, and gave us more insight than we had hoped for. We have immediately instructed them to carry out further work for us as it is not often that services exceed your expectations.Recruitment Agency
- It was a great piece of work which confirms feelings we have had about the business and this data is invaluable in substantiating this information. This evidence will help EOS improve and make precise business decisions for the future.Electrical Oil Services Ltd (EOS)
- We try very hard to communicate well with our customers and the information we have gathered from the survey will be invaluable in helping us to refine the way we work. In particular we have really key information to enable us to promote and assist with digital inclusion. We also now have information that will help us to communicate differently according to customer preferences.Greenfields Community Housing
- Eastern Inshore Fisheries and Conservation Authority contacted Mackman with a brief to carry out an awareness campaign. Immediately, we felt that they understood the requirements of the research and they took reasonable time to consider a sound and practical methodology to meet the demands of the project. The research team were easy to talk to, enthusiastic and worked hard to bring the project in on time and to a tight timescale and budget. We were impressed by the final report showing comprehensible results and recommendations. An additional presentation which we requested covered everything we defined in a concise and practical solution. This report is a valuable study: The results have given our organisation a benchmark for future engagement with our key stakeholders, helping Eastern IFCA continue to make an impact on the work we do to sustainably manage inshore fisheries in Lincolnshire, Norfolk and Suffolk. We are looking forward to making the most of the research, to create and deliver a targeted engagement activity programme. I have no hesitation in recommending Mackman; their work is of an extremely high standard and they are a pleasure to work with.Eastern Inshore Fisheries and Conservation Authority
- After meetings with various companies regarding a customer and an employee satisfaction survey, Mackman were chosen. In our initial meetings they showed that they understood our business and what we were trying to achieve. As a company we had never outsourced our customer and employee satisfaction surveys before, or linked the two and wanted to ensure we got it right. We felt confident that Mackman would help us achieve this. I also liked the thought of working with a local company. I felt it would be more cost effective and liked the idea of having a company close to hand in case of any issues. I would not hesitate to work with Mackman again. The staff are friendly and approachable and took the time to understand what we are trying to achieve. They always kept me updated on progress; they are enthusiastic, knowledgeable, have a ‘can-do’ approach and never missed any deadlines set.Specflue
- I found the entire team at Mackman to be driven to achieving the best result for Baker Tilly. I valued their persistence to get the job done. They communicated regularly with me and kept me informed about milestones and possible delays to the project well in advance so I could take appropriate action and ensure the project was kept to schedule. The final report of the results was presented in a clear and easy to understand report. The report is invaluable to us as we use it to determine our marketing approach and plan our business development campaigns for this audience. From the report, we have been successful in gaining many PR opportunities (including front page coverage with the Financial Times). I'd be more than happy to recommend the Mackman Group.Baker Tilly London